Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DIY Scrabble Letters Wall Art

 
I needed something different to hang on the wall in our living room.  I didn't want more pictures but didn't want to spend a fortune on some big piece of art.  That's when I came across this tutorial on Something Turquoise: http://somethingturquoise.com/2012/10/19/diy-giant-scrabble-tile-table-numbers/
It is DIY scrabble letters and she includes all the printable templates for the letters.  A-Z.  The only change I made was to make my blocks smaller.  When I printed them I fit 2 to a page which made them 4 in letters.  I then took a 1x6 board and made 12 cuts it at 5.5 in.  making twelve square slabs that are 5.5 inches by 5.5 inches ( A 1x6 board isn't actually 1x6 in case you were wondering, weird huh). 
 
 
Also in the tutorial on Something Turquoise by Jen she used a pencil to rub on the backside of the printed template and then traced the letter on the front of the template to leave an outline on the wood.  I just used painters tape to attach the template to the wood and used a fine tip black sharpie to trace around the edges of the letters.  I went slow enough to give it time to bleed through the paper.  Then I painted with a good narrow paintbrush.  I think it is important to use a good paintbrush.  Saves you a lot of time. 

Finally I went to the garage and stained the blocks using Early American Minwax stain and hung them with Command's Picture-Hanging Strips.  If you have never used these before they are great! I also just used them to hang 4 - 11x14 frames in my living room and they hold up great!
 
Anyway I love the finished product! :)

No comments: